NIAID Strategic Plan for COVID-19 Research
The NIAID Strategic Plan for COVID-19 Research details the institute’s priorities for controlling and ultimately ending the spread of SARS-CoV-2 and the disease it causes (COVID-19). The plan focuses on four key research areas to accomplish this:
- Advance basic research on SARS-CoV-2 biology, pathogenesis, and transmission
- Identify and test promising COVID-19 therapeutics
- Develop and test next-generation COVID-19 and pan-coronavirus vaccine candidates
- Characterize, prevent, and treat post-acute sequelae of SARS-CoV-2 infection (PASC)
NIAID Pandemic Preparedness Plan
NIAID developed a Pandemic Preparedness Plan for future public health emergencies caused by viruses. The plan outlines three main goals for NIAID’s biomedical research portfolio:
- Systematically characterize pathogens of concern and increase research and surveillance to identify threats before they emerge;
- Shorten timelines between pathogen emergence or outbreak onset and authorization/approval of candidate diagnostics and medical countermeasures, such as therapeutics and vaccines; and
- Bridge or eliminate existing gaps in research, infrastructure, and technology and expand preclinical and clinical testing capacity.
Read the NIAID Pandemic Preparedness Plan.